Make your own free website on


(These rules are general in nature, please consult Indian Mission concerned for specific rules)

Are you applying for the first time?

Please obtain an application form from the Passport Office (free of cost) or the Head Post office (Rs.3) or download from the website or submit a photocopy of the form. Fill all columns carefully and legibly; the application may be submitted to the Passport Office/Mission concerned (where you are resident when applying) either in person or through a representative or by registered post.

Give proof of residence i.e., a self-attested photo copy of the ration card or voters' identity card or water tax bill or telephone bill or electricity bill or running bank account or income tax assessment order of last three years or appointment letter of reputed companies on letterhead (any one of them will do), certificate from Tehsildar or Gram Panchayat/ Sarpanch as proof of residence in a village.

Give proof of date of birth and educational qualifications i.e., a self-attested photo copy of birth certificate or school certificate or in case of illiterate/ semi-literate persons a sworn affidavit to be attested by a magistrate, Tehsildar or Sarpanch as per specimen given in the form.

Furnish 6 photographs (black & white or colour):

Attach NOC in original if you are in the service of Central/State Government, Public Sector Undertakings, Statutory Bodies and the like.

Do you need a passport urgently?

Then you require a verification certificate (as per specimen at Annexure G of the application form) from any officer of the rank of Deputy Secretary and above in the Central Government or equivalent in the State Government, Colonel and above or its equivalent in Air Force and Navy, General Manager of a Public Sector Undertaking, Sub-Divisional Magistrate, SSP of district or one of those listed in Annexure 'G' (page 16 of the application form). An out of turn passport is issued only in cases of specified emergencies, on production of documentary evidence. The certificate should be on official stationary with one photo pasted on the certificate and attested with signature partly on the certificate and partly on photograph.

Passport for minors

It is compulsory to have a separate passport for a minor. A number of foreign Diplomatic Missions are refusing to grant visas if minor's name is included in the parents' passport.

Apply as for fresh passport with the following additional documents:

Attested photocopies of parents' passports. If neither of the parents has passport, then an affidavit from both parents (specimen at Annexure 'D' of the passport form)
In case either of the parents holds a passport, copy of the same, alongwith an affidavit from the other parent (specimen at Annexure 'D' of the passport form)

Column 19 of the application form to be signed by both the parents/ legal guardian and at column 22, affix the minor's signature or thumb impression. In case one parent is abroad an affidavit giving  No Objection to the issue of passport to the minor should be counter-assigned by Indian Mission/ Consulate abroad.

Emigration Check Not Required Stamp

Following persons are entitled to get the ECNR stamp on their passports:

Emigration Clearance Rules

Even if you do not have the ECNR stamp, you can visit Bangladesh, Pakistan and all countries in Europe (except the Commonwealth of Independent States) and North America without emigration clearance. In any case, Protector of Emigrants can grant emigration clearance to certain categories of skilled/semi-skilled workers for a period of six months if application is made through authorised recruiting agent and there is a valid employment visa. In case, the person concerned is leaving the country for non-employment purposes, he can obtain suspension from emigration clearance for the specified country and for the specified period from Protector of Emigrants.


The following all inclusive fees to be paid alongwith application form either by Bank draft in favour of Passport Officer, or in Cash. (In case of Indian Missions, please refer to their Fee Structure/Mode of Payment)

  1. Fresh passport (36 pages) of 10 years validity                              Rs. 300/-

  2. Fresh passport (36 pages) of 20 years validity                              Rs. 600/-

  3. Fresh passport (60 pages) of 10 years validity                              Rs. 500/-

  4. Fresh passport (60 pages) of 20 years validity                              Rs. 800/-

  5. Fresh passport for minor (below 15 years) of 5 years validity        Rs. 200/-

  6. Passport against lost/ damaged passport                                       Rs.2500/-

Miscellaneous Services

  1. Additional Booklet (36 pages)                                                      Rs. 300/-

  2. Additional Booklet (60 pages)                                                      Rs. 500/-

  3. Changes of address/ Police clearance certificate/ Deletion of particular of childern/ ECNR/ Additional endorsements                                                               Rs. 100/-

In case of Bank draft full name of the applicant should be written on the reverse of the Bank draft.

Original Documents

It is obligatory to produce the original documents for verification in case so required by the Passport Office.

Time frame for issue of Passports

However, in case of emergency, your Passport Officer can expedite the issue of passport.

Delivery of Passports

Passports are normally delivered only to the applicant or despatched by registered post to the applicant's present address as given in the application form;In case a passport has already been granted, in the normal course, the applicant may approach the Passport Office for counter delivery. Such passports can then be delivered at the counter.

Loss of Passport : How to apply for a duplicate?

If you lose your passport, then Please inform the nearest police station and obtain a copy of the FIR.
Also kindly inform the Passport Office or Indian Mission which issued that passport. Passport is a valuable document and in case it gets misused, you can be held responsible, if you have not informed the office.

Apply for a duplicate passport with:

Damaged Passport : How to apply for a replacement?

If your passport gets damaged, you are entitled to get it replaced. Apply for a
duplicate passport with the following documents:

Expired Passport : How to apply for re-issue?

If you are a holder of a passport, then you are entitled to an automatic re-issue of a passport, without prior police verification. You can apply one year before the passport expires or within 2 years after it expires to obtain this expeditious service.

You are required to submit only:

Options in terms of validity and size of the booklet

You can either apply for a 36-paged normal passport booklet  (Fees: Rs. 300/- for 10 year; Rs. 600/- for 20 year validity) or a 60-paged jumbo passport booklet (Fees: Rs. 500/- for 10 year; Rs. 800/- for 20 year validity).

Miscellaneous services : change of name

If you change your name, please get your passport booklet changed. Please approach the RPO/PO/Mission concerned in good time.

In case of marriage, re-marriage or divorce:

In other cases:

Change of address

For change of address the following circumsfances may arises.

  1. If you already have a passports and want to change the addressrecorded in it, approch your nearest passport office and apply for the same on Miscellancous Services application from with a fee of Rs  100 and proof of new address.

  2. If you have applied for a passport but before the same is issued, you have shifted your residance their, you should  inform in writting to the Passport Office within whose jurisdiction  your new address falls about your application for a Passport submitted to the previous Passport Office (with application numbers etc.)  for transfer of your file to the new Passport Office.  Along with proof of your new address. No fee required to be paid in this case.

Emergency Certificate

An Emergency Certificate (one-way travel document) which authorizes an Indian to enter India, is issued to the citizen of India whose passports have been lost, stolen or damaged and to whom new passports cannot be issued without approval from India. This is primarily with the objective of ensuring their return to India.

Home PAge